Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chapters 9- 10 -13

     In chapter nine it talks about the teacher's role in the writing workshop. The teacher's job is to create an environment in which students are comfortable and willing to share. It also discusses the importance of having structured routines in place so that if a teacher was not in the class the students will still be able to learn and grow as writers. I have actually been able to observe my mentor teacher taking on these kind of roles in the classroom. My teacher creates an open environment in which the children are not ashamed to say "I don't get it" and they love to share their ideas with others. She does this by respecting the children and the children respect her and each other in return. She encourages the children to help their classmates, and always shows interest in their ideas. Her interest in their ideas motivates the children to want to share more. I love how she never tells the children that their ideas are not good; she always finds something positive to say.

     Having a broad range of resources available to the children is also important in a classroom environment. In my classroom I have noticed that the bookshelf is not very extensive. One of the girls in my class is struggling in reading. I asked her if she likes to read, and she said that she likes comic books. Unfortunatley our classroom does not have any comic books, but I think if it did she would be more motivated to read.

I like how the book pointed out that teachers don't always have time to model writing during class. I agree that even though teachers are busy they should use past examples of their writing pieces to share with their students. It lets students know that their teacher values writing and is not just teaching it to cover a standard.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about using past writings, too. That's one of the reasons I try to get you all to develop some pieces throughout the semester. It gives you something to show the kids during those first years when writing may not always be at the top of the to-do list.

    I loved the story about your classroom and the environment there. There are plenty of classrooms where you can't say "I don't get it" and seek help. So much learning is lost. Plus, if kids can learn from and teach each other, it can also make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete