Sunday, February 20, 2011

Making Connections


                While reading the chapter on managing predictable distractions I was able to relate a lot to my experience in my field work. I like that this book makes situations very relatable to real life teaching scenarios. I agree that teachers should think in advance about possible issues that might take away from learning. It is our goal to teach children in an environment that promotes positive learning experiences so thinking in advance of ways to cut distractions is very smart and saves learning time in the long run. I have noticed that my teacher does a lot of the things that were discussed. For example she is constantly having conferences with students by moving around the room. I have noticed that if she is on one side and I am on the other children the children tend to stay on task because we are relatively close to all of them. Also students know that they can ask for assistance easily without having to leave their desks. My teacher allows students to sit where they want, as long as they are on task. The class doesn’t have room for a beanbag area but it does have two large tables that the students are allowed to work out if they want to have more room. Noise has been an issue in our class. My teacher is not as lenient as I would be however they do not have to be silent. I have noticed that a lot of the noise is created by students sharing their ideas and getting excited either to me or another class mate. A lot of the children will get excited and talk really loud. I am hesitant to tell them to quiet done when they are getting excited about something educational, but it does get loud sometimes. I think that having quiet zones is a very good idea, but our classroom is kind of small so I don’t know how well that would work. It seems like if it was used for punishment children might not enjoy writing as much, however I do agree that there is a noise level that is negative for those who are concentrating. My teacher is very good at managing transitions. She will usually begin the focus lesson on the carpet, and then allow working time at desks. The children come back to the carpet at the end and a lot of times she will share the work and allow the children to discuss and ask questions. I think having a closing is essential it allows children to talk and gives the children time to hear what their classmates are working on.
                I agree with the author that writing workshop kits are not simply quick recipe guides to the perfect lesson. It takes a lot more than what is simply said in the plan. However I do think they could be helpful in using as a general idea that can be modified. I think that there are some situations that students should have freedom of choice, but I do think that some guidance and suggestions for topics etc. should be given. I know I have had instances in my writing experience where I had no freedom and had to write specific things (I hated it). I also had experience with no structure where I found it very hard to write on “anything”.  Sometimes you just need something to give you that motivation or interest to write. In theory it sounds good to say “just write” but I defiantly appreciate a minimal amount of structure.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree about structure. It is hard for many of us to "just write" but there will also be students who feel deflated because they have ideas and our prompts don't match. So, a mix is good. I'm glad you're seeing the benefits of teaching presence and the structures of the workshop buzzing along. This gives you some strong principles and examples to adapt and work from. I do think that "kits" aren't in-and-of-themselves bad - some may have good ideas. I hope this semester will give you the confidence to know what is worth doing. Unfortunately, the kits are often used in place of thoughtful instruction. (And so much money goes to purchasing them, it is understandable that the administration wants to see them used.)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete