Sunday, March 27, 2011

Harder than I thought..

Just recently my teacher has been having me grade the student's writing pieces. She gives me a rubric that is divided into 4 domains. The domains are Ideas, Organization, Style, and Convention. Each domain gives components of a paper that fail, meet, or exceed the standard. I thought this would be easy considering that the rubric is so specific, but I have found it is very difficult. My main difficulty was the Convention domain. The other domains only had about 2 or three components, however; the Convention domain had about 8 different components. It was very hard to label that section as fail, pass, or exceeds because there were too many components to be graded as a whole. It was also difficult because I wanted to judge the success of the students based on the peformance of the other classmates. I feel like the rubric was so strict that it needed a curve of some kind. My teacher explained that if I judge them purely based on the rubric it would be best because I would be able to compare the student's work more acurately. I feel like grading writing is soo subjective and I wanted to be fair. I had to keep going back and changing scores. My teacher said that means I was doing it correctly. I had no idea how difficult and time consuming it could be!

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with teaching assessment, and you've hit on some of the key reasons why. In the end, it is very hard to put writing into a category. In some ways, letting kids write about their own topics adds another layer of difficulty to assessment, since the pieces will look so different. But, I believe that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

    I hope you share more about this with us when we come back to assessment in a couple of weeks. I wonder why there are so many more specifics in conventions? Do the kids work from this rubric when they are writing?

    ReplyDelete